Standing Committee Meeting Report Data Services

March 2018

Action Items following the Spring 2018 DSSC Meeting

Action Item F2017:2 Previous Action Item F016:1 Follow up with Greg on archiving historical data, often from other agencies. Are there potential sources of funding within other parts of NSF?
Responsible: Stump will assume full responsibility but the point of contact should move from Anderson to Benoit.
Responsible: Stump
Status: Stump talked to NSF and their recommendation was to approach David Lambert at I&F but it must have a strong science justification.  Paul Richards and Loraine Hwang will be leading this discussion at a SIG during the IRIS workshop.  It is important to clearly define the scope of what historical data means.

Action Item F2017:4 When the outcome of the NGEO proposal is known, organize a teleconference of the DSSC to discuss the outcomes of the award with specific DSSC impacts.  Identify this as something that all Standing Committees should consider as well.  Consider having the Spring 2018 DSSC in Boulder with overlap with the UNAVCO GDSAC.
Responsible: Stump
Status: NGEO is still in review by the NSB.  Nothing can be done at this time.

Action Items from the Spring 2018 DSSC Meeting

Action Item S2018:1 Continue to engage EPO to actively promote EMC within the IRIS community as well as the K-12 community.
Responsible: Taber

Action Item S2018:2 Propose to BoD that there is a need for a discussion related to financial support for Data Services from other government agencies.   A good starting point would be NSF, USGS, and IRIS.
Responsible: Stump

Action Item S2018:3  Produce analysis of how often web service clients are used to connect to DMC web services.
Responsible: Ahern

Action Item S2018:4 Revisit the Long Term Temporary Data policy specifically related to the cost of absorbing Large-N data sets.
Responsible: Ahern and DMC Staff

Action Item S2018:5 DSSC continues to support the carryover and unfinished tasks for DS. The. committee gives Ahern authority to spend on enhancements but keep the committee informed.
Responsible: Ahern

Action Item S2018:6 Develop a short (2-3 pages) “Strategic Priorities of Data Services Looking Forward”.  It will be circulated to the DSSC for comment and improvements.  Include the statement on miniSeed3 development in Strategic Priorities Document, DSSC generally supports the plan to move forward with the IRIS approach to the next generation of miniSeed. Related to previous Action Item F2017:15.
Responsible: Stump, Levin, Thomas, Ahern

Action Item S2018:7 Need to further research a method to affordably manage Large-N sized data sets. Consider lower cost storage systems and understand the impact that it might have on current DMC services.
Responsible: Ahern and DMC Staff

Action Item S2018:8 DSSC feels that a face-to- face meeting should take place in the Fall 2018.  Take to CoCom.
Responsible: Stump and Ahern

Action Item S2018:9 DSSC supports the concept of writing a cover letter for the letters of support for Data workshops.  Include letter of support from a previous participant of a workshop indicating the helpfulness of the workshops for regional data sharing. Circulate through the DSSC and then forward this to the BoD. Return to this topic at the Fall Meeting.
Responsible: Stump and Ahern

Action Item S2018:10 Contact COSG about initiation of a NRC study on the value of Data Services to the broadest group of federal agencies. Take to CoCom and the BoD.
Responsible: Stump

Action Item S2018:11 Continue discussion of interagency support for the IRIS DS at the next meeting of the DSSC.
Responsible: Stump

Brief Meeting Summary

All Action Items from previous meetings were reviewed. During the course of the meeting several other action items were identified and are available on the DSSC web site.

Reports from the IRIS DS Director and the Deputy Directors for Operations, Cyberinfrastructure, Quality Assurance, and Projects were presented and discussed by the committee. This was followed by reports from the IDA DCC, the ASL DCC, and the PASSCAL Instrument Center. Reports were also given by the Quality Assurance Advisory Committee (QAAC) and the current status of ph5 was discussed and how the DMC leverages the PH5 software for management of some of their data.

A thorough discussion of DS Unfinished Tasks and Carryover took place.  Both of these categories of available funds were discussed at the previous DSSC meeting (Fall 2017) and the plan is on schedule.  Ahern showed an extended plan where all SAGE Year 5 funds should be committed, and work completed before the end of Sage YR 5. DSSC reviewed and supported the plan that would complete all tasks.

A summary of the current status of a new version of miniSeed was discussed as this is something that is needed to handle the data from Large-N deployments. The DSSC indicated that their guidance is to proceed with the prototype format designed by the IRIS DMC and other FDSN members and have it tested by a group of Large-N users from around the globe.  The decision was made to proceed with the IRIS proposed approach to an implementation phase to expedite this process.

Discussions were made about some of the common projects UNAVCO and IRIS Data Services will work on together when NGEO is funded. These include a Common Data Access Point as well as perhaps sharing infrastructure for Auxiliary Data Centers in the Cloud.  Work is just finishing up on the GeoSciCloud EarthCube project and both IRS and UNAVCO have similar perspectives on how to proceed in shared infrastructure.

IRIS DSSC will finalize a letter with comments from a variety of agencies regarding the continuation and importance of IRIS DS Data Workshops and their broad impact on seismology.

A discussion related to encouraging support from a variety of federal agencies that make use of the NSF funded DMC for their data management needs received considerable support from the DSSC and Chair Brian Stump will pursue this activity.